I've already finished Catalyst in the time it took us to get in the Lab!!!!!
This book is a lot like the book Speak [which incidentally is by the same author, Laurie Anderson]. The character's [ Kate, Teri, & Melinda] [or something like Melinda...] situations are what I am comparing today.
Speak: [main character]
Melinda [I hope you are not intending to read the book, 'cause I'm spilling the beans!] goes to a party and gets raped & calls the police [no one knows why she did] and now everyone hates her. She loses her purpose in the world & thinks she forever useless and has to find a way to heal the wounds.
Catalyst: [main character]
Kate is one school yr. older [senior] and has no mom and decides to apply to the college as her mom did, but was rejected. She becomes 'Ms. Depresso' and to top it off, her life gets worse when her worst enemy, Teri & her son, Mikey [Teri=same age, Mikey=2] have to move in to her room when Teri's' moms' house burns down. Now not only does she have to find out what to do with herself, but with Teri & her son as well.
Catalyst: [non-main character]
Teri is majorly suffering. Her son has died of a severe electrical shock in the midst of everyone tyring to rebuild her house and is still having to deal with people feeling sorry for her & a mother who doesn't know what is going on because her mind has been slow ever since her husband hit her up-side the head with a baseball bat & raped her daughter, causing her to have a kid, Mikey [the one who dies].
...sad, huh?
!What I thought of blogging!
17 years ago
1 comment:
WOW. I have read (and really enjoyed) Speak, but haven't tackled Catalyst yet. I can't believe how sad that book sounds! Now, does this book have the same characters as Speak, or just a similar plot line? You have really gotten me intrigued; I must read this book!
Post a Comment